This is a private blog and in no way reflects the views or position of the United States Government nor the United States Peace Corps.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Week 2

Sain Bain uu? This is the blog that Alli and I wrote together over the weekend. We will also be able to see each other this weekend. She covered some of this in her blog so if I repeat her, forget about it ohhh.
As a reward for making it through the first week with our host famillies Mike and I were able to see each other and had a sleep over. We feel like were 16 with our families. Mike came over to my Hasha and met my family, and we ate.. alot. everyday here is like being at grandmas, we are forced to eat until we are full and then presured to eat more. Its funny that the mongolian word for eat is "ead" so all we hear at the dinner table is ead ead oo ooo. ooo is drink. Alli's host family has cows so her mother goes out and gets fresh milk for every meal. As far as the booze goes neither of our host families drink, which is good.
Before we get to farahead of ourselves we just wanted to thank everyone who has been writing and sending care packages. They really make our day when we get something. We are sorry that our posts havent been that frequent but we are both over an hour walk away from the internet, and the other day I walked all the way here and it was down. And that sucked.
So what is life like here? Will the exact opposit of what our lives were like in the states work? Probably not huh? Our schedueles are pretty similar so this is for both of us. The roosters start crowing at 530 but that doesnt matter because the sun comes up at 430. We lay in bed and try to sleep but its like god is sitting outside your window. We get up and then go poop in a hole, then spend about an hour writing, doing homework, trying not to go crazy. We eat breakfast around 800 and leave for school around 820 because we both have a 30 min walk to school. Language from 900 til 100 walk 30 min home eat lunch walk 30 min back to school for our technical training. TEFL for Alli and CYD for Mike. School is done for the day around 530 then a 30 min walk home. We try to spend as much time as we can with our host families but our brains are usually mush by this time and we have tons of reading and studying to do. Dinner is usually at about 800 we hang with the fam until about 900 and then back to our rooms until we fall asleep at around 1000. Of course the sun doesnt set till 1100.
Its hard being split up but the days have been going fast and we can see each other on the weekends.
Oh yea on my way to Alli's last weekend I was on a reality tv show. It was like an "amazing race" show. Agroup of people were hitchhiking from moscow to beijing and just happend to be on the same road that i was walking down. One of the contestants saw me and asked if I spoke english and then started talking to me on camera. He was trying to hitch a ride with me to alli's neighbor hood and i told him that i havent seen my wife in a week and i wasnt going to get kicked out of my cab for letting him in. Then i told him to mind the dogs and was on my way.
Have to go now. Love Mike and Alli

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mongolia sure is a country of incongruities..... you're poopin' in a hole, but yet taking a cab to see Alli!?! What a scream!

Today is the first day of summer and the weather has been warm. Remember the 30 sunflowers we transplanted on May 24? All of them made it and are over a foot tall now. So glad we saved them from Bri and the dreaded rototiller. I'll take some pictures and send them. I'll have to take pictures all over the property though, because we have volunteer "wedding" sunflowers sprouting everywhere. Should be fun to see in a month or so.

Did you get to see the space shuttle over the last couple of nights? It passed over Chicago around 10pm last night. I had all good intentions of looking for it, but of course, I fell asleep.......

Starting to really miss hearing your voices. Love you both very much.

Love, Mom and Bri

Anonymous said...

Hey M & A;

Great to hear your tales in Mongolia - one question....the dogs...why can't you pet them or get close....they affraid of you or are they "special"...

You need to send some pics when you can...would love to see you both as well as that fancy bathroom.

We love ya and pray for your good health and happiness every night!

Keep it up...your both doing great!

Anonymous said...

How cool (being on a TV show) I will have to start watching more TV so I can see you! Yes, send us some pictures, I would LOVE to see what it actually is like there. I keep picturing a desolate wasteland. I'm glad to hear that you guys are having fun. I love you and I miss you!