This is a private blog and in no way reflects the views or position of the United States Government nor the United States Peace Corps.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

We Found Each Other

Happy Belated Father's Day- dad, Don and Brian! We love you and wish we could have been there to celebrate. Happy 50th Birthday fancy (disguised in case you don't want anyone to know)We wish we could have been there to celebrate and eat American food with you.
Sorry it has been a couple of days. Mikes aab(father) delivered him to my house on Saturday!!! I was outside sweating bullets hand washing my clothes and bamb in walks Mike and his aab. We had a great weekend. My family loved Mike and Mike loved my hch (mom) food. He was able to stay until Sunday night. We are both dropping weight quickly. I guess thats what no preservatives and walking everywhere does for you. I am however loving the food. Dairy products all day long.
Days are long but the weeks are moving fast. Today we didn't have afternoon class so my friends and I walked the 1 1/2 walk to use the Internet and I will be meeting up with Mike here in a little while. Next weekend we are going to climb one of the mountains near by, as long as my fear of heights dosen't get in the way.
I will try my best to give a description of what I see daily. In my som there are only dirt roads where animals and cars have the right away. There are quite a few Delgerrs (family stores) that have icecream and such. I walk to school with herds of cows- it is absolutely amazing. The sky seems endless and the sunlight is abundant. There are mountains in every direction. I/all the Americans are quite a sight for the Mongolians although the longer I am here the less they stop and stare at me. Also the more I am able to communicate with them the happier they get. The Mongolian children in my area are simply adorable and love to say hi and hello as I walk down the street.It is also not uncommon to see kids popin a squat anywhere, anytime. Time does not really exist here that I have noticed. It is morning, afternoon or evening. It is alot like the south- patience is a virture. Waiting for the cows and horses to pass takes up a good portion of my day. Yesterday I was able to see my mom and brother shave the sheep by hand. I was getting tired watching them. Dogs in Mongolia serve a purpose and are not to pet so learning down dog is an important phrase. I will try to prepare more for next time we write- we wrote a long blog but I gave it to Mike and have noticed that it hasn't made it online yet! If there is anything you would like to know about let us know... next time Mongolian culture. We miss everyone and love to hear from you- keep'm coming! Love Alli

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you found each other! Your post is painting a clearer picture of your daily lives. How different from the good ole' USA.

We miss you both. It is sure great hearing about this incredible adventure. Take care and keep in touch.

Love Mom and Bri

dsill said...

Dave & Pattie here! Happy you're settling in, it sounds amazing... we feel we're living it through you. I'd like to walk to work with the cows & sheep!

The flower book arrived and I will treasure it always. How kind & sweet you are for doing it. Thank you, (what's thank you in Mongolian?)

Take care of yourselves and each other.

Love, Dave & Pattie

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo, you found each other...that was the subject of conversation for several days...we all hoped that not hearing from you meant that you were together catching up.

Are you sitting down? Good! Your father planned an executed an awesome surprise birthday dinner. Details to follow.

alli, dairy every day?? Good for the bones and all that walking, you must look fabulous. Does doing all of that walking give you more energy? What do you guys do when you're not in training or eating or walking to and fro?

It's always great to hear your news. One of the side benefits for me is having dad read aloud your blog entries...he laughs so hard he almost cries, it's contagious, then he calls grandma and reads it to her, laughing even harder than the first time. We love your delivery and your positive approach. Keep em coming!

50 is not a secret, unless of course a potential employer is reading this....sneaky b****rds that they may be.

Sending lot's of love to you both, and here's a hug too ()

Nancy

lavonne said...

sitting here with josh
he says he didn't know he had a brother in mongolia - was worried about sons but not brothers - he also thought his mom was right here so he is very confused!
the first thing we do every am is check our email and the Blog
dad also reads it to me
then i go to work and read it to everyone - your are our source of entertainment. so mike you know how you made fun of me emailing that alabama company that makes super warm coats - guess what the president of the company called me
and offered the two of you free jackets no strings just because he thought it was cool that you guys are in mongolia - josh wants to know if you are looking for gold while walking behind the cows - he is ready to retire. or you could find a river, take a bath while looking for the gold - he says the river is west if you are looking for it - should only take a day or so walking - he says he loves you too!
as we all do!
love mom - dad says he uses email because it remains incognito
he is doing good
had a fever in the hospital so he had to stay an extra day or two
home today - went looking at cars and cell phones with josh
mike, josh and jeremy bought dad a new grill - where is my chef?
love to both of you
love you