This is a private blog and in no way reflects the views or position of the United States Government nor the United States Peace Corps.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Host Family- Alli

What a beautiful country. I am now at my host family's house north of Darkhan. Everyone is so incredibly nice and welcoming. The food is great. I have eaten a mixture of things and they are all good. My favorite is called suetend bota or rice in milk. I have not gotten sick yet and am feeling relatively well. My parents are retired. I have 1 sister and 4 brothers and 1 niece. We have a mixture of goats, cows, sheeps and a dog. We have a garden where they grow potatoes, onions and cucumbers. There is veggies!! My school is about a 25 minute walk from home. I am practicing alot of Mongolian both at school and at home. It is really hard to learn, especially the alphbet. A group of us walked about 1 1/2 hours to make phone calls and use the internet. I am now in the town where Mike is but have no idea where he is. We are planning to see each other sometime this weekend- although it is hard to make plans when there is no way to communicate. Until next time- Alli

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie Cook had a copy of your blog at work and was able to read yours and Mike's adventures.Brandon and his wife were in the restaurant the other night and were talking about your blog and here it is.
All is well in the Wilson household. Janice and I were just up in Chicago for the restaurant show. John jr. is leaving tomorrow for a concert in Tenn. I think called bugaboo?
The wheatend hoolie and bailey are great, wrestling all the time.
keep the faith
John Wilson

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Al! I am sure it is difficult, but everything of value is, to some extent. It sure is wonderful seeing a post from you or Mike, remember, we are all living vacariously through you two!! You are in the Land of Horses, and yet, your host family doesn't have one?? Interesting. Make sure you tell them that your family has three!!

Care packages are on the way. Pretty soon you should be up to your eyeballs in M&M's!!

We love you. Live in the day.

Love, Mom and Bri

lavonne said...

allie
i was so glad to see your note
sorry we got cut off - dad was yelling Hi in the background sends his love
It seems that M&M Mars company is located in Burr Ridge and I was telling one of their reps about you requesting M&M's in your first email home and he called me back and said he is looking into sending you a shipment - I told him there are 48 of you!
in the mean time virginia has us all sending them
I wish i could fly there and take you to a hotel so you could have a long bath - but the umbilical cord isn't quite as flexible in Mongolia!
love you
Mom

marina said...

Oh gees, it sounds like glorified camping. Just tap into the mind of sir Jeremy and his camping skills and you'll be fine. I bet the language barriers is making it harder for you but I know you'll be conversing in no time. I love you alli.

Anonymous said...

Well it seems like you're settling in. Like you are making yourself "at home". Hope things are as good for Mike. It sounds like you're doing a lot of walking. Good for the hips. We love when we log on and there is a new message. Maybe Mike won't have to walk as far and we'll hear from him soon. I guess there are no distractions like TV. I'm sure the learning will get easier. Have fun.
Love Us

Anonymous said...

Wow! Well it is good to hear that your host family is so nice and that I now have 6 more cousins! haha! I love reading your updates, keep them coming! I miss you and Mike A LOT and I love you both very much!

Anonymous said...

great news Alli...you have cucumbers, that is considered a vegetable right? Interesting to note that your host parents are retired, what are they retired from? You sure do have an abundance of parents....hope you feel all the love, we're trying really hard to get it to you.
Love, Nancy

blance said...

Hey guys, Jim and I were thinking of send a care package for you. Any special requests? You can email them if you get a chance. Sounds like everything is going ok so far...

Mongel Mike